What To Do During a Lockdown
Trinity CommunicationsSeptember 22, 2019
The safety of the Trinity community is of utmost concern, and so to that end it’s important to be reminded about the University’s lockdown procedures.
Also—you never know when a practice drill may occur!
If you are notified of a LOCKDOWN and are not in the area or building of the armed intruder:
- Everyone is to stay where they are.
- Instructors and supervisors are to quickly glance outside the room to direct any students or staff members in the hall into your room immediately.
- Lock or barricade your door.
- Lower or close any blinds.
- Take low positions against a wall so that an intruder cannot see anyone.
- Turn out lights and keep quiet.
If you are threatened or in the area of the armed intruder:
Run: if a safe path is available. Always try and escape or evacuate, even if others insist on staying.
- Encourage others to leave with you but don’t let the indecision of others slow down your own effort to escape.
- Once you are out of the line of fire, try to prevent others from walking into the danger zone and call 9-1-1.
Hide: If you can’t get out safely, find a place to hide.
- When hiding, turn out the lights, remember to lock doors and silence your ringer on your cell phone
Fight: As a last resort, working together or alone, act with aggression; use improvised weapons and fight to overcome the situation. Your life is at risk.
For more information on what to do during an active shooter incident, log into myTIU and follow this link: https://my.tiu.edu/ICS/Campus_
If the instance of an actual threat to public safety was not reported by TIU Security, your first action would be to have one person call 911, then contact security at x6400 or (847) 317–6400.